Blade Repair Tech Level 1 (WTG)
Blade Repair Technician Level 1 – This course has been developed by a specialist blade repair engineer for Renewable Turbine Training and the syllabus covers all the main skills required for practical blade repair in the field.
This Wind Turbine Blade Repair and inspection course is the first stage of blade repair skills and designed firstly as an introduction into composite repair. It will quickly advance the candidate onto more intricate blade repair techniques. The two week course takes the candidate through health and safety, basic blade design and composition, through to laminating and practical repair techniques for wind turbines.
The course content over the ten days will include:
Blade Repair Technician Level 1 – Module A – Core Skills – 5 Day
- Wind industry and wind turbine blades
- Need for wind turbine inspection and repair
- UK health and safety legislation and guidelines
- Risk Assessments and method statements
- Correct terms, definitions and abbreviations used
- Explanation of safe handling of material’s
- Basic fill, sand and paint repair techniques
- Composites and blade materials, fibre’s, resins, core materials.
- Blade construction and various blade structures, including reinforcement structure
- Manufacturing process for blades
- Processes involved in wet lay up of laminate by hand, vacuum consolidation, infusion and pre-pregnation
- Root causes for damages and defects to blade’s
- General preventative maintenance principles and recording systems
- Grading and damage reporting levels 1-5
Blade Repair Technician Level 1 – Module B – Laminating – 3 Day
- Laminating techniques
- Select the correct materials for the repair- Reinforcement/Chemicals
- Different approaches to laminate repair- Laminate orientation/ lay-up
- Laminate repairs down to core material- Undertake core material repair
- Remove damaged blade material and chamfer it- Chamfer ratios/Layer identification
Blade Repair Technician Level 1 – Module C – Practical Repair – 2 Day
- Applying and combining the skills learnt in Module A and Module B delegates will undertake repair in the following conditions
- Inspect, log and report blade damage whilst at height
- Plan the repair and prepare surfaces whilst at height
- Complete a basic repair using fill techniques and report repair
- Complete a repair that involves laminating techniques in a practical at height environment
The skills learnt on this thorough and in depth training package will make the user a valuable asset to any wind turbine blade repair company and will give the end user a wide range of transferable skills. To complete the practical elements of this course the delegate must be comfortable with moderate heights or have prior experience such as a valid GWO Working at Height or IRATA/SPRATS certificate.
Entry Requirements: Minimum age 18. Medical declaration required to attend. Must be fluent in English for safety reasons.
1:12 / 1:6
Theoretical and practical
Renewable Turbine Training